Culture Declares is a movement of individuals and organisations in the arts and culture sectors declaring a climate and ecological emergency. Beyond this declaration, we form communities (e.g. in local Hubs) to tell truths, take action and seek justice.
I was a core co-founder of this movement, from Winter 2019 and I am still actively involved across strategy, communications and evaluation, as well as starting to be active in Culture Declares East of England.
This work has involved:
- Writing the original website, setting up databases and comms tools
- Being involved in the comms and plans for all the actions and events, including the April 2019 launch, the July 2019 assembly, the rally for imagination and many more since
- Involvement in gatherings & meetings to engage large national organisations such as the Natural History Museum and Tate to declare emergency and develop programmes in response
- Involved in convening an Alliance of Declarers of many other declaring initiatives within and beyond the cultural sector
- Writing a large number of learning resources, presentations, position statements and strategy documents. See, for example, the Earth Day Call to Action.
- Delivering a Festival of Change at the Museums Association conference, Autumn 2019
- Writing the new website, including the Pathways to Action toolkit
- Developing a Culture Takes Action framework and delivering training and social media plans to encourage practitioners to take action in eight pathways
- Developing a new strategy, ways of working and structures
- Presenting about and championing CDE on multiple occasions, online and in person, in the UK and at international conferences
- Developing an impact evaluation plan
- Devising several online events as part of The Offer series
- Involved in Culture Declares East
- Supporting our involvement in the People’s Picket of DCMS in April 2023